John A. Litvaitis
Litvaitis, J.A., G.C. Reed, R. Carroll, M.K. Litvaitis, J. Tash, T. Mahard, D.J.A. Broman, C. Callahan, and M. Ellingwood. 2015. Bobcats (Lynx rufus) as a model organism to investigate the effects of roads on wide-ranging carnivores. Environmental Management: In Press.
Tijušas, E., L. Balčiauskas , L. Balčiauskienė, and J.A. Litvaitis. 2014. Can non-professional observers help scientists answer the question of how many large predators are in Lithuania? Mūsų Girios 12:34-36 (“Our Forests” – monthly publication dedicated to foresters and the people associated with forests in Lithuania).
Broman, D.J.A., J.A. Litvaitis, M. Ellingwood, P. Tate, and G. Reed. 2014. Modeling bobcat distributions using incidental observations and telemetry locations: are the results comparable? Wildlife Biology 20:229-237
Fenderson, L.E., A.I. Kovach, J.A. Litvaitis, K. O’Brien, K. Boland, and W. Jakubas. 2014. Genetic structure and connectivity of the New England cottontail (Sylvilagus transitionalis) in a highly-fragmented landscape. Ecology and Evolution 4:1853-1875.
Fickenscher, J.L., J. A. Litvaitis, T. D. Lee; and P. C. Johnson. 2014. Insect responses to invasive shrubs: implications to managing thicket habitats in the northeastern United States. Forest Ecology and Management 322:127-135.
Wellington, K., C. Bottom, C. Merrill, and J.A. Litvaitis. 2014. Identifying performance differences among trail cameras used to monitor forest mammals. Wildlife Society Bulletin 38:634-638.
Litvaitis, J.A., J.L. Norment, K. Boland, K. O’Brien, R. Stevens, D. Keirstead, T. Lee, J. Oehler, J. Taylor, S. Bickford, and M. Tarr. 2013. Toward consensus-based actions that balance invasive plant management and conservation of at-risk fauna. Environmental Management 52:1313-1319.
Fenderson, L.E., A.I. Kovach, J.A. Litvaitis, and M.K. Litvaitis. 2011. Population genetic structure and history of fragmented remnant populations of the New England cottontails (Sylvilagus transitionalis). Conservation Genetics 12:943–958.
Weidman, T. and J.A. Litvaitis. 2011. Can supplemental food increase winter survival of a threatened cottontail rabbit? Biological Conservation 144:2054-2058.
Weidman, T. and J.A. Litvaitis. 2011. Are small habitats being overlooked in grassland bird conservation? Northeastern Naturalist 18:207-216.
Selected Service Activities
- University Animal Care and Use Committee
- Member of Editorial Boards of Acta Zoologica Lithuanica and Northeast Naturalist
- Coordinator and host of the 80th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Mammalogists (5 days meeting attend by ~500 scientists, largest meeting ever held at UNH)
- Organizer and host of a two-day conference: Shrublands and early-successional forests of the northeastern United States- critical habitats dependent on disturbance (papers from this meeting were published in a special issue of Forest Ecology and Management)
- Associate Editor of the Journal of Mammalogy
- Editor of Northeast Wildlife